My Favorite Art Podcasts

I'm someone who listens to a ridiculous amount of podcasts. Whenever I'm in my car, waiting for class or walking around, I'm usually listening to them. I could spend hours recommending different ones based on different interests, but that is a post for a different day. Today, the topic of discussion is my favorite art-related podcasts.

1. A Piece of Work: I recommend this podcast to everyone. Abbi Jacobson from Broad City hosts it and she takes listeners to MoMA to explore modern and contemporary art. There are discussions with curators and artists but also people like RuPaul and Questlove, which makes this shows super accessible and entertaining for everyone.

2. State of the Arts: This podcast has really interesting topics but is definitely geared towards those with a greater interest in art. This is an older podcast and they stopped making episodes but the existing episodes are worth a listen. My favorite episodes are "Fascist Aesthetics, Memorials to Shattered Myths", and "KITTEHS! (i.e. Cats and Art)."

3. Artsy: This is the podcast of the website of the same name, which includes thoughtful discussions on everything from art history to the art market and everything in-between. I love Artsy because they always have very intriguing topics like "So What is the Art Genome Project Anyway?" or this week's episode "Can Pot Help Unlock Creative Potential?" This podcast can be heavily focused on the New York art scene, so fair warning, you will want to travel there.

4. Getty Art + Ideas: Jim Cuno, the president of the J. Paul Getty Trust is the host of this podcast where he speaks with scholars, curators, and artists about the arts. As someone who lives in LA, I especially love the episodes where they discuss works or exhibitions at the Getty that I can easily access. My favorite episodes are The Making of an Exhibition series, where they discuss Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA, the Getty's initiative of exhibits exploring the art of Latino/Latina art in dialogue with Los Angeles across Southern California.

5. The Jealous Curator: Art for Your Ear: Author of the blog The Jealous Curator, Danielle Krysa has phone conversations with contemporary artists to gain insight into their work and personal lives. I personally love hearing about people's creative processes and what informed certain works. I think these conversations are really fun and enjoy getting to know the artists.

Do you have any podcasts you love? I'd love for you to share them!

-Chloe



Comments

Popular Posts